¿Cómo se dice...?

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Me and the Snakes

Well... snakes on the brain. Yesterday, Lorena and I decided to have artichokes for lunch (pictures of Lorena, Sergio and Emily to follow... I've been told that the names are confusing. I will try to take photographs tomorrow.) Lorena told me that I could pick the artichokes, and subtly mentioned that I should "watch out for the snakes!" So, I asked if she was serious, and she said "yes, of course!" I can't believe it. We proceeded to have a whole conversation about it - there are two predominant species here. There are large ones, those are 'safe'. Yeah. Safe. That's what I'm worried about. Then there are small ones with diamond shaped heads, and vertical slits for eyes. Those are the 'less safe' ones. So, Lorena explained that's why we always wear long pants and watch where we put our hands, where we sit, etc. Silly me - I thought it was because there might be ticks. Lorena told me that I should walk around with a machete whenever I do weeding, gardening, etc. and move all the plants around before I do any serious work. Apparently this scares the snakes away. Yeeeeeeah right. The snakes are not afraid of me. They know I'm coming and they put their bibs on and grab the silverware. I just know it. From now on, I'm sticking with the chickens. They eat the snakes. Gutsy little fellows. At dinner Sergio told me that snakes signify change. I said that's nice, for me they only signify fear.

I had an interesting conversation with Sergio last night: I'm just about at the point where I can manage one on one conversations well, even with confidence. When there are two or more people talking to me, forget it. I need another week. Sergio told me about how they make olive oil and other products. I asked if they make wine and he said that for the past two years it has been too difficult because wild bores have been eating the grapevines. He said he finds them full, sleeping there. This year they're hoping for better luck. We also talked about the chickens, what it's like to raise them and eat them, and the geese. He said that it's difficult now with his grandchildren, who become very attached to the baby animals. He also explained that it's especially hard with geese, who apparently become domesticated when they are raised by people, and are a little bit like larger pets (ie cats, dogs, etc...). This obviously makes it harder to eat them!

Today Lorena showed me how to clean up around the grapevines, and it's extremely hard work. I have to nap for one hour every time I work for two. Doro and Cece are back for another visit - They took me on a walk to their house, which turns out to be about 15 feet down the road. Should have known. These families stick together. Doro led the way, explaining that sometimes there are snakes on the road. I let her lead. She's 6. I'm 26. She's brave. I'm not.

For food we've been eating the same basic products for a week since we never waste leftovers, but Lorena is extremely creative and every time we eat it's as if we're having something entirely new. We ate lasagna which Lorena and I made using the leftover pasta from thursday night's guests' meal. We used ricotta mixed with a variety of greens as a filling, and we topped it with a salsa which we made using the leftover asparagus soup, a little bit of flour, olive oil, and salt. It was delicious. Lorena also asked me whether I like wine, and when I said yes she announced that moving forward we'll have some at every meal. Lorena doesn't ask me anymore what I like eating and what I don't. She has seen enough to know that I like everything.

Emily and I have become so comfortable together even though we don't share enough words to really communicate. She helped me in the vineyards this afternoon, and periodically we took breaks and sat together silently. It's very tranquil here, and it's nice to be alone. But it's nicer to have her company.

So - the snakes. I will persevere. Only because it's worth it. It's a good thing I didn't really know about them before I booked my return flights. I'm going to walk tall, and carry a machete wherever I go. And if any snake wants to pick a fight with me - I'll just run. If it catches up, I'll fight it with the machete. Although it will probably just eat the machete. And then me.

Goodnight serpents of Tuscany, you little devils!

No comments:

Post a Comment